NGS Daily jigsaw puzzles

Thursday, December 31, 2009

SkyWatch Friday


For more interesting sky views see:
http://skyley.blogspot.com/




Two interesting photos.

I took the first photo this Fall from my front porch looking westward toward "West Mt." (part of the Oquirrh Mountain range that divides Tooele County N/S from Salt
Lake and Utah Counties). This "fan" cloud filled most of my view to the west....I think this is called a "gravity wave" type of cloud?




See information about the Oquirrh Mts. here: http://desertisland.org/utahmaps.htm



This photo was taken Christmas Day. We were traveling north to Utah County on I-15. It was a COLD, windy, but clear day, and these clouds were being blown into the
mountains along the Wasatch Front Range mountains....example of orographic lifting. You can see the cloud stream bring driven up and backward by the mountain face.

Happy New Year!!.....Keep your eyes skyward to 2010!!!

5 comments:

  1. I really like both of these pictures. I was trying to pick a favorite but I just can't. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the cloud patterns in the first photo...great capture.

    Have a Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome photo, I love the second shot with the mountain view.

    Happy New Years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures with interesting clouds. Happy New Year and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete